Saturday, December 26, 2015

Bristle-thighed Curlew

"Bristle-thighed Curlew"
Original Clay board Engraving.
©Amanda Brannon

A couple of years ago, I was selected to be the featured artist for the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival in Homer, Alaska.  I had really hoped to do a sandhill crane illustration (my favorite bird) for this event. Much to my chagrin, the committee chose the Bristle-thighed curlew for my subject matter.  "ARGHHH!!! A Bristle-thighed what?!!!"

I was a little grumpy about this decision, at first. But, after some soul-searching, I decided to adjust my attitude and take the opportunity to learn about this bird. Boy, am I glad I did!  This fascinating little bird migrates between Alaska and the Pacific Islands! Although not exactly colorful, I appreciate the beautiful mottled pattern on it's back and it's fluffy "pantaloons." And what about that long, curved beak?  In my engraving, my Bristle-thighed curlew is exploring the shore of Kachemak Bay, with China Poot Peak in the background. This is my favorite place in Alaska. I love combing the shore there, looking for little pieces of beach glass, sea shells, and heart-shaped rocks.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity to get to know this darling bird. Since then, I've been illustrating a variety of birds as a means of learning more about them.  Right now, I'm working on an Anhinga. Stay tuned!