Friday, November 27, 2015

Giving Thanks

"The Party Crashers"  ©Amanda Brannon.
Original clay board engraving. 24" x 36" 
Different-sized prints available.

The thing I love most about Thanksgiving is the opportunity to share my favorite dishes with my favorite people. This year's was particularly wonderful, with both family and new friends. I also relish the opportunity to give thanks for what is actually important:  good health, loved ones, and the everyday blessings that we take for granted.

Our country has lost sight of what is really important.  Camping outside a store and fighting over merchandise is both shameful and exploitative of consumers. How embarrassing to be reduced to lowly behavior over a so-called deal. Wouldn't it be better to spend time with your loved ones on a lovely hike or stroll in the park, while sipping hot chocolate or apple cider?  Or playing board games indoors or making holiday crafts?


Rather than buying the usual meaningless stuff, wouldn't it be lovely to buy one extra-special gift from a crafts person or artisan that would be a forever keepsake?


My hope for our country this year is that more people begin to wake up and take notice of where they are placing value. I will continue my personal tradition of my annual "Buy Nothing" day, on the day after Thanksgiving, to celebrate what is really important:  Sharing and giving thanks.


I hope your holiday season is filled with joy and gratitude and, of course, lots of art!